NMr. William H. Cox, great great grandfather of Lewis Cox opened a wagon-making shop in the Wellhope section of Rockcastle County, Kentucky in 1862 and quickly became known as one of the areas finest craftsman. His son William A. Cox later joined him in this business. William H. was particularly well-known for the sturdy wagons that he made and soon families began to request that Mr. Cox handcraft caskets as they needed them. This led to the involvement of the Cox Family in the funeral service practice that still continues.
Cox Funeral Home was established in 1907 by William A Cox in the first Cox Funeral Parlor which was above what is now the Cox Hardware Store in Mt. Vernon, Ky. At that time, the building was owned by the four Cox brothers, W.A., Robert, Edward, and Claude. Later the funeral Parlor was moved to the building now occupied by Mt. Vernon Printing. W.A. Cox died in 1944 and in 1946, the business was moved to its present location at 80 Maple Drive in Mt. Vernon, Ky.
Bud Cox joined his parents, W.H. and Berneice in the funeral business in 1962. Since the death of W.H. “Bill” Cox in 1974, Bud, his wife Shirley, and their son Lewis Cox continue to operate the funeral home today. Lewis joined the firm in 1988 and represents the fourth generation in the business.